New York Giants

Very Bad News :Giants Tommy accused of a career ending case of sexual Assault…

N.F.L. Increases Penalties for Sexual Misconduct in Light of Deshaun Watson Case
The league can more strictly penalize players for sexual assault involving coercion or threats, and its discipline can take into account patterns of conduct, after a judge who oversaw Watson’s hearing cited the policy’s limits.The N.F.L. has changed its personal conduct policy, expanding the offenses that warrant more serious penalties to include sexual assault “involving threats or coercion” and including “a pattern of conduct” and “offenses that involve planning” as factors that could increase punishment.

These changes come one year after a disciplinary officer cited limitations of the league’s policy in issuing initial discipline to Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, who was accused of sexual misconduct and harassment by more than two dozen women. The additions would allow the league to make a stronger disciplinary response to players or other employees who engage in behaviors like those Watson was accused of by women who said he purposely touched them with his penis and coerced sexual acts without their consent during massage appointments.

Watson, 27, denied the accusations. He was not charged criminally and has settled 23 of the 26 lawsuits filed against him; one was withdrawn (“in light of privacy and security concerns,” according to a court filing) and two others are still active.

The N.F.L. made the changes, which were viewed by The New York Times, in response to the judgment issued last year by Sue L. Robinson, the retired federal judge who oversaw Watson’s disciplinary hearing, according to three high-ranking league or team officials with direct knowledge of the policy’s revising. They spoke under condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly.

“We annually review our policies and programs with an eye toward continuous improvement based off previous experiences,” Brian McCarthy, an N.F.L. spokesman, said Monday in a statement. The players union did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button